Thursday, March 22, 2012

John & Kay: Passport to Latin America

At the beginning of March, I had the pleasure of hosting my parents in Guate for the first time! They arrived on an evening flight and my good friend Berta accompanied me to the airport to pick them up. For those who know my parents, the idea of John and Kay heading to Guatemala for a week is pretty funny. I'm thinking some of my dad's co-workers didn't believe him. But it was true! This was the trip that was rescheduled from January when my mom had her knee surgery, and thanks to some excellent physical therapy, she was up to the challenge. I had been counting down the days!

They spent the first night at a nearby mission home and I picked them up the next morning to show them my house and to eat some breakfast. Then our van came to take us to Panajachel! It is about a 3 hour drive from the city, but so worth it to see one of the most beautiful lakes in the world - Lake Atitlan! I had been there twice before but was so eager to go back. It is one of the most incredible places I've ever been; it's even in the book 1000 Places to See Before You Die. So I thought my parents should see it! We had a wonderful time walking around the little town, visiting the market, and eating at some great restaurants. And my parents were introduced to Tuk-tuks, the little motorized cars that everyone uses to get around. There were not too many other tourists since it was off-season and the middle of the week.

Lake Atitlan


Tuk-tuk!
 The second day we took a little boat across the lake to visit the market at Santiago. My mom and I had a great time shopping around, while my dad enjoyed the view of the lake while he waited for us ;) We also visited a nature reserve with a beautiful butterfly house.




The following day it was off to Antigua - a town about 30 minutes from the capital that is famous for its  Spanish colonial style. We visited the ruins of various cathedrals (all brought down by earthquakes in the 1700s) and ate a lot of great food! Our hotel was beautiful with 2 gardens, a nice restaurant, and marimba players in the afternoon.

View of Antigua from Cerro de la Cruz
Famous Arch
Central Park Cathedral
Central Park

Hotel Posada del Don Rodrigo
Marimba!
The following day we visited another of my favorite places, Finca Filadelfia Coffee Resort. If you know me at all, you know I have a bit of a coffee addiction, which only intensifies when I'm in Guatemala surrounded by amazing coffee. Filadelfia is a gorgeous plantation with great coffee and a 5-star restaurant. We took the hour and a half coffee tour which is so informative - it ties together the rigorous coffee production process with information about the people and local economy. And when you're through, you get to drink some! That's the best part. I don't think my mom wanted to leave.



After a very full week, we traveled back to the capital and stayed together in a hotel near my house. We met some of my good Guatemalan friends for dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. It was so neat to have my parents finally meet the friends that are so important to me here! On Sunday I drove them to Los Cerritos so they could see my ministry in person. Then Monday morning we headed out early to the airport. But honestly, the week was so great and I was so thankful for the time that we spent together, that I didn't even really feel sad! I am so grateful that my parents are so supportive of my ministry in Guate and now they can understand a little bit more about why the Lord would have me serve here for awhile - to share the love that I've been given in a place that needs a lot of hope!


Psalm 31:19
How abundant are the good things that you have stored up for those who fear you, that you bestow in the sight of all, on those who take refuge in you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment