Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Time flies


So I know I have not been updating this as I should, but it’s for a good reason – I’m finally into my routine here and really enjoying the time. I have my ministries, my church, and my friends, and I’m okay that I don’t have much time for blogging these days ;) So thankful for the Lord's faithfulness in helping me find my purpose here in Guatemala.


 My time at CAG doing speech pathology is winding to a close – they use the US school calendar so that the missionaries can be free to host teams and travel during the summer. It was such a neat ministry opportunity to use my therapy skills with kids in Guatemala; I had a great time with my 16 kiddos. It was also a great place to meet others on mission here and hear about all the different ministries happening around the country. I will miss the friendly staff and playing Candy Land with my students!

On Saturdays I keep busy too. In the mornings I’m giving English classes to two groups of kids in Buckner Transition Homes – these are homes for kids who were in orphanages but now live in a family environment with house parents. They receive help to continue their studies and later find a job and live independently, a really tough transition if you don’t have a network to help you out. It’s been fun getting to know the kids and helping them with their English skills – they are eager to learn. Saturday afternoons I am helping a handful of youth with English at my Guatemalan church – I am enjoying building relationships with people that I might not get to know otherwise and I am glad to be part of the church’s outreach.

And on to my favorite days – Monday, Wednesday, Friday – when I’m with my kids at the CTC. I am so thankful how my relationships with those precious kids grow every day! They trust me more and I get to know them on a deeper level. Their smiles and hugs bring me such joy! I miss them on the days that we are not together. I know that I cannot meet their every need, there are so many, but I am so grateful to be a presence in their lives that mirrors the love of our Father. We have so much fun learning new vocabulary, playing games, making crafts, having snacks, and, of course, playing soccer. There is no attendance policy and there are no grades so it is only self-motivation that keeps them coming back, and I am so happy for the 60+ kids that do. On Fridays I continue to use Bible stories as our daily focus and each week we learn a phrase that corresponds to each story - God loves, God saves, God cares, God forgives.... I pray that these messages give them hope when it seems there is none and peace when the world gives them trouble.


On my free days I am now taking some more private Spanish lessons and continuing to do some speech therapy as well. I am excited to further my Spanish studies and fill in some holes that might possibly exist in my grammar… I am also happy to now have the time to go the grocery store before 6 pm :) I've been spending time with my friends from Buckner and my friends from church in the evenings - it's nice to relax and hang out with them after a busy week; I am very thankful for those relationships.

Off to make some more lesson plans....


Psalm 31:19
How abundant are the good things 
    that you have stored up for those who fear you,
that you bestow in the sight of all, 
    on those who take refuge in you.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you've gotten into a routine. Sounds like God is using your gifts!

    ReplyDelete